SEO or Search Engine Optimization is the practice of using various processes, techniques, and tools to drive more organic traffic to your website by increasing its rankings in the search engine results.
SEO encompasses 3 main areas to be effective… traffic, rankings and strategy.
Let’s get a better understanding of each of these areas of SEO…
1) Organic Traffic
Organic traffic refers to the number of visitors to your website. Your website’s content (text, images, videos etc) when SEO ‘optimized’ will help to increase your website’s organic (free) traffic from search engines such as google and bing. In addition, the quality and quantity of the backlinks pointing to your website will help increase your website’s organic traffic.
2) Search Engine Rankings
Studies have shown that the website which claims the number 1 ranking in the search results page gets 33% of the total traffic. The primary goal of SEO is to reach the number one position in search engines for as many keywords as possible that related to the product or service that you offer.
3) SEO Strategy
The practice of using various processes, techniques, and tools to improve your website’s visibility on the Internet. To be successful, an SEO strategy will utilise different processes, techniques, tools, and apps to put your website and its content front and centre of its target audience.
So whether you’re looking to improve your SAAS site SEO, an e-commerce store or a local business website, these tools can help you analyse keywords, competitors and rankings to continually improve your SEO efforts.
In this article, we will discuss different types of SEO software, tools, and apps that will help you monitor, manage, and improve your website’s search rankings. Find out which ones are applicable to your current SEO strategy.
Choose the right software, tools and apps that can fine-tune your processes and give your website a boost up the search rankings.
Let’s get into it…
SEMRush is an SEO tool that helps you create highly optimised content by generating a list of the best keywords to use for your blogs.
The key to the effectiveness of SEMRush is its massive database – more than 120 million keywords and 46 million domains. As an SEO tool, it can handle a wide variety of tasks.
When it was first launched in 2008, SEMRush was composed of a few SEO and IT professionals with a vision to level the playing field in online marketing.
What are the main features of SEMRush?
- Position Tracking – Keep your content on point by tracking your positions for any keyword; find out what keywords your competitors are using then group them with tags and target different devices.
- Site Audit – SEMRush’s SEO analysis tool will help you identify site issues, find and fix hreflang mistakes, potential security concerns, and problems in AMP implementation then determine which ones to prioritise first.
- Social Media Tracker – Analyse your performance versus your competitors and create valuable reports to help your come up with a winning strategy.
- Social Media Poster – Be more productive and save time by scheduling your posts and managing queues to all of your social media accounts from one place; analyse your content’s performance and poster chrome extension for more convenience.
- Brand Monitoring – Monitor your brand reputation and learn from your competitors; build your brand by discovering new opportunities and tracking backlinks.
- On-Page SEO Checker – Analyse Google ranking factors that could be affecting the performance of your website and get actionable recommendations that are based on the data collected; from there perform a comparative analysis of your website versus Google’s top 10 performers.
- Backlink Audit Tool – Manage your backlinks with the Search Console integration which helps you identify potentially dangerous toxic backlinks and send them to the Google Disavow tool; keep your profile clean with regular recrawls.
- Organise Traffic Insights – Find out what the “not provided” keywords are; use Merge Analytics and Search Console data to analyse the potential of your keywords.
- Content Analyser – Assess the quality of your content and how its performance measures with your competitors before your publish them.
- PPC Keyword Tool – Find keywords through various channels then create optimised keyword lists to cross-match versus negative keywords and take advantage of recommendations to polish your keyword list.
- Ad Builder – Develop new ideas for your ad creative then use them as a template to come up with effective text ads; add relevant ad extensions and build responsive HTML ads for your GDN campaigns.
Ahrefs is an SEO tool that allows you to study the search ranking strategies of your top performing competitors so you will know what to do to beat them.
Retrieve the Organic Search Report to find out the exact keywords your competitors are using. You will see how high the keywords are ranked and the volume of traffic that is driven to your competitor’s websites.
Ahrefs collects massive amounts of data. The SEO tool crawls more than 5 Billion web pages, indexes an estimated 16 trillion links, 170 million root domains, and 3 trillion known URLs.
Ahrefs started in 2011. Its first SEO tool was Site Explorer which analysed backlinks. The company was founded in Ukraine but its main office is located in Singapore.
What are the main features of Ahrefs?
- Site Explorer – Uncover the SEO strategies of your competitors; the high-ranking keywords they are using, the quality of their backlinks, and if they are doing paid search advertising.
- Keywords Explorer – Gain access to a massive database consisting of over 7 billion regularly updated keywords collected from 171 countries and 10 search engines; find out which keywords won’t rank high and which ones will gain the most clicks, analyse performance in real-time with the built-in analytics tool, and organise the keywords into lists.
- Content Explorer – Discover the top performing content in your niche by learning about their volume of organic traffic, domain rating, the number of referring domains, the value of PPC-acquired organic traffic, and the number of social shares.
- Rank Tracker – Stay on top of your SEO efforts by getting data on your percentage of clicks from organic search traffic, average position and traffic volume, and your position in various ranking groups.
- Site Audit – Site Audit will crawl on the pages of your website and gather key data to determine a health score and then provide recommendations so you can eliminate guesswork and uncover what’s wrong with your current SEO strategy.
- Alerts – Get notified whenever there are mentions of your website and the competitors’ brands; find out what people are saying about your business so you can fine-tune your SEO strategy.
- SEO Toolbar – Make it easier to access and analyse the metrics of the webpage you are viewing; SEO Toolbar will let you see key data on domain and URL ratings, rankings, number of backlinks, referring domains and ranking keywords, and the estimated volume of organic search traffic.
- Domain Comparison – Evaluate your SEO strategy versus the competition by viewing key data on backlinks; find out if your website is attracting or losing backlinks compared to your competitors.
- Batch Analysis – Assess the performance of more than 200 individual URLs by analysing the following key metrics: Ahrefs ranking, domain rating, the number of referring domains and backlinks, and social metrics to name a few.
- Link Intersect – Find out which websites are linking to your competitors’ but not yours so you can strategise to get them to link to your website.
- Content Gap – This SEO tool uncovers the keywords that you should be targeting by collecting all the keywords your competitors are using and subtracting the ones your website is ranking for.
Majestic is an SEO tool that surveys the Internet gathering data on billions of URLs every day. It has built a massive database of information on websites that can be used by SEO professionals, Internet marketers, and Affiliate managers to fine-tune their optimisation strategies.
By using Majestic, you will know which websites are linking to your website. You will also find out the links your competitors are using and create a database of quality backlinks.
Majestic is based in England and was founded in 2009.
What are the main features of Majestic?
- Site Explorer – Site Explorer is a web-based link investigation tool that helps you track your favourite sites, find links used by the competition, uncover link opportunities, and analyse link quality with the use of industry-standard metrics which filter by topic, quality, and language.
- Fresh And Historic Indexes – Majestic provides 2 indexes: Fresh and Historic that covers a specific search period for databases so you can have a wide range of backlink profiles to research on for your SEO strategy.
- Majestic API – This industry-leading API will give you access to Majestic’s connector library and extensive documentation plus tools to manage various API keys so you can build time-saving bespoke apps.
- Advanced Extracts – This data extraction tool functions without programming to upload up to 1 million websites, export the best links to various spreadsheet formats, and use its free SEO browser plugin to deliver the data to you.
Screaming Frog is a search marketing agency from the United Kingdom that introduced the SEO Spider web crawling software. This innovative SEO tool has the ability to crawl both small and large websites to gather valuable data that you can use to fine-tune your online digital marketing strategy.
The SEO Spider will cut down the time you spend reviewing and improving your optimisation strategies because it will transmit data in real time. You can get information about your competitors’ websites; assess their performance in comparison to yours.
Screaming Frog was founded in 2010 with headquarters in Henley-On Thames Oxfordshire.
What are the features of Screaming Frog’s SEO Spider tool?
- Uncover Broken Links – Use the SEO Spider to uncover broken links and server errors then export the data plus source URLs to a developer for immediate attention and resolution.
- Review Page Titles and Meta Data – The SEO Spider delivers information in real time so you can immediately analyse page titles and meta data and pinpoint ones that are missing, duplicated, too long or short on your website.
- Retrieve a Massive Collection of Data – Use the SEO Spider’s XPath feature to collect massive amounts of data from the HTML of a webpage including headings, prices, social meta tags, and SKUs.
- Create XML Sitemaps – With the SEO Spider tool you can create both XML Sitemaps and image XML Sitemaps that have advanced configuration over URLs with information on last modified, change frequency, and priority.
- Redirect Audits – SEO Spider will help you find both temporary and permanent redirects so you can identify redirect chains and loops or transmit a list of URLs intended for audit to a site migration.
- Uncover Duplicate content – SEO Spider has an algorithmic check that allows you to uncover duplicate URLs and elements that are partially duplicated including descriptions, heading, low content pages, and page titles.
- Evaluate Robots and Directives – Identify the URLs that have been blocked by robots.txt, X-Robots-Tag directives, and meta robots.
- Connect with Google Analytics and Other Programs – SEO Spider will allow you to integrate with Google Analytics and other programs such as Search Console and PageSpeed Insights and stay on top of your website’s performance.
- Review and Analyse Site Architecture – SEO Spider will enable you to review and analyse your internal linking and URL structure with the use of its interactive crawl feature, directory force-directed diagrams, and tree graph site visualisations.
Ubersuggest is an SEO tool that was created by entrepreneur and online marketing expert, Neil Patel. Specifically, it is a keyword research tool that will help you optimise your content.
Finding the right keywords is crucial to having your blogs found. Embedding content with the correct keywords is making your blogs attuned with the online behaviour of your audience. You are creating content based on how they search for information.
Neil Patel knows a thing or two about creating optimised content. Neil is the founder of a number of online marketing blogs such as ProNet Advertising, QuickSprout, Kissmetrics, and NeilPatel.com.
What are the main features of Ubersuggest?
- Domain Overview – Ubersuggest has features that allow you to uncover the SEO strategies of your competitor so you can break them down, find ways to gain an advantage, and improve the quality of your own content.
- Top SEO Pages – A wonderful research feature that helps you find out which of your competitors’ content are ranking high for popular keyword searches and which ones are enjoying visibility in social media pages such as Facebook.
- Keyword Suggestions – Keyword research is made easier and more comprehensive as Ubersuggest will provide you with all the data you need to figure out which head terms or long-tail keywords you should use – volume, trends, and competition.
- Content Ideas – The perfect solution to writer’s block, Content Ideas will let you know which topics are getting the most likes and social shares in your niche.
- Backlink Data – Find out which websites your competitors are linking to; then reach out to these websites and negotiate an arrangement whereby they can link back to you.
Keysearch is an SEO tool that helps you overtake the competition by giving you a list of the best, most relevant, and most searched for keywords in your industry. Keysearch has a gigantic database of over 1 billion keywords to draw from.
This innovative SEO tool can also retrieve the keywords your competitors are ranking for. With this information, you can find ways to refine your content and improve your SEO strategy to get better results.
Dan Pfeffer founded Keysearch in 2015 with the purpose of having a useful, effective, easy-to-use, and affordable keyword research tool for the everyday blogger.
What are the main features of Keysearch?
- Keyword Research – Type in a seed keyword and Keysearch will retrieve hundreds of the most relevant keywords complete with data on search volume, CPC, and PPC or type in a competitor’s URL and uncover the keywords that they are using.
- Competition Analysis – Keysearch runs on a complex algorithm that uses various multiple on-page and off-page ranking factors that will provide an accurate, single-number keyword difficulty score, first full page search results analysis and allow you to get more data and LSI keywords with the program’s Deep Analysis feature.
- Rank Tracking and Competitive Intelligence – Keysearch will give you important information on your search ranking, search backlinks, organic keyword rankings, identify the best backlinks for your website, and study the SEO strategies of your competitors.
Keywords Everywhere is an SEO tool that speeds up keyword research by removing a few steps from the process. All you have to do is to install the app to your browser and let Keywords Everywhere do the rest.
Whether you are on Google, YouTube, Amazon, or Google Search Console, Keywords Everywhere will retrieve all the relevant search volume data and other valuable metrics that you can view on Excel, CSV or on a PDF format.
Keywords Everywhere was introduced in 2015 by Axeman Tech Pvt. Ltd, a company that has been developing SEO tools since 2011.
What are the main features of Keywords Everywhere?
- Monthly Search Volume – Find out the average number of searches that people have performed for a particular keyword the past 12 months.
- Cost Per Click Data – Discover how much advertisers are willing to pay for a single click for a specific keyword in Google Adwords.
- Adwords Competition – Uncover the number of advertisers that are running ads on Google Adwords for a keyword that you may be thinking about.
Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a service from the search engine giant that allows you to check the optimisation visibility and the indexing status of your website. It has tools and features that will help you measure your website’s traffic, track performance issues, and execute repairs.
Google Search Console was initially called Google Webmaster Tools before it was rebranded to its current name in 2015. The 2018 version of Google Search Console includes improvements in functionality and a more user-friendly interface.
What are the main features of Google Search Console?
- Search Analytics – Find out what search queries visitors are using to go to your site and review data on impressions, clicks, and you current position on Google’s search rankings.
- Index Review – Submit your sitemaps and URL for Google Search Console to crawl on and give the search engine giant a fresher view of your website.
- Email Alerts – Google Search Console will send you email alerts to inform you which of your websites have problems that should be addressed.
- URL Inspection Tool – Get detailed information from Google Search Console of your website’s crawling and indexing history.
- AMP Status Report – Google Search Console will send you a report detailing the errors on your website that are preventing your AMP pages from appearing in the search results page.
- Mobile Usability – This feature from Google Search Console will identify which pages are having usability issues when accessed from a mobile device.
- Rich Results – Google Search Console will let you know which rich results Google could not access from your website and how to fix these errors.
Moz Pro is an SEO tool that was developed to help marketers save time and do away with guesswork by creating the largest keyword database.
Moz Pro uses a proprietary algorithm that compiles keywords from various sources and passes them through a high-quality vetting process.
Moz Pro presents marketers with an online tool that will shift focus and resources away from keywords that are hard to rank for and toward keywords that produce the best opportunities.
Find out which pages are ranking very well for a specific keyword and design data-based strategies on how to improve on-page and off-page optimisation.
Moz was founded in 2004 by Rand Fishkin and Gillian Muessig. It started out as an SEO blog but its research work eventually paved the way for the company to begin developing SEO tools.
What are the main features of Moz Pro?
- Keyword Explorer – With access to more than 500 million keyword suggestions, 180 million fresh-ranking keywords, and 170 Google search engines, Keyword Explorer cuts down on your research time so you can focus on the keywords that you can rank high right away.
- SEO Audit and Crawl – SEO Audit and Crawl is a feature that helps you find common technical SEO problems on your website that may hinder its ability to rank, get indexed by search engines, and receive high-quality traffic then have them fixed according to priority.
- Link Explorer – Link Explorer delivers valuable link metrics including Page Authority and Domain Authority so you can assess the performance of your link building strategy and compare with your competitors’.
- Rank Tracking – With Moz Pro’s Rank Tracking feature you will find out how your site’s keyword ranking is performing on the SERP as well as its visibility and determine which ones are delivering results and which ones are not.
- MozBar – MozBar is an SEO toolbar that you can attach on your browser so you can view the keyword metrics on any website you visit.
- Domain Analysis – All you have to do is to enter the domain name and Domain Analysis will provide you with key metrics such as Domain Authority, ranking keywords, and top pages.
SpyFu is an SEO tool that uncovers your competitors’ innermost SEO strategies. You can search for any domain and find every place that they have appeared in Google.
SpyFu will identify every keyword they’ve bought on Adwords including every ad variation and organic rank in over 13 years.
You will learn how to connect with these domains, find leads online and via traditional methods such as through email, phone, address, email, and social media.
SpyFu will increase your website traffic volume by driving more clicks to your Adwords and SEO campaigns. It will help you track your keyword rankings by monitoring your SEO rankings on Google, Yahoo, and Bing as well as your paid rankings.
Michael Roberts founded SpyFu in 2006 as an SEO tool that translated Adwords data and Google search engine results into useful information for marketers.
What are the main features of SpyFu?
- PPC Competitor Research – Discover every keyword that your competitor has bought on Google and uncover the results of every ad test they’ve done so you can avoid the same mistakes.
- SEO Competitor Research – If your competitors are outranking you, find out the content and backlinks they are using to gain an advantage.
- Domain Leads and Top Lists – Develop your list of domains and customize them according to industry, location, search traffic, technologies, social media, and ad spending.
Here at Paradigm ProjeX, our SEO agency uses several of these tools on a daily and weekly basis to help us optimize, track, research and improve our client’s SEO Plan.
They’re absolutely invaluable, and whether you’re an entrepreneur, small business owner or own your own website or blog, these SEO tools can help you understand your website traffic, analyse competitors, research and track keywords and rankings and keep your website on the right side of google.
If you choose to work with us at some point, these are the tools we’ll be using to help you achieve your SEO goals too. To find out how we can help your grow your business using SEO, feel free to get in touch for a confidential discussion.